July 23rd – July 27th 2018
All teachers are involved in testing and assessment of different kinds and this course will help you do it better. Taught in conjunction with a leading expert in testing and assessment, Dr Zeynep Ürkün, the starting point of the course is understanding the links between the goals of your course, the way you teach and how you test. It also challenges you to think about your view of language and how this interacts with course outcomes, teaching and tests. The course combines lectures and case studies with practical workshops where you work on assessments or ideas for testing that you have brought to the course. You will be expected to bring your own device to work on these assessments. Minimum requirement for teachers and test writers of C1.
By the end of this course, you will:
● understand how to articulate course outcomes.
● have new insights into the role of lexis in learning.
● be clear on the uses of formative and summative testing.
● know how to make clear links in your course content, teaching, and assessment.
● have a collection of techniques for informal formative testing.
● be better able to write and test criteria for assessment.
● be better able to write items and rubrics for tests.
● be better able to evaluate your tests and assessments.
● have improved an area of assessment that you are involved in.
What our 2017 students said:
“I really enjoyed this course and I think it will make a difference in my vision of these two domains. I consider that both teachers were excellent, I especially liked Zeynep because I could relate to everything she talked about.”
“The course was very fruitful for me. I enjoyed both the content of the course itself and the social programme. I am really happy with it and I can’t recommend it highly enough. It was amazing!”
“This has been the best Erasmus course I’ve ever attended, and everything Zeynep talked about resonated with me. She’s a true source of inspiration and I feel I have learned a lot from her. Thank-you!”
*Teaching hours for all Lexical Lab courses are 55 minutes to account for breaks and changeover.